Learn about the interface and functions in the org chart
This article assumes you've already imported people into your org chart scenario. If not, check out the "Getting started with the free plan" guide for tips on importing or adding people.
This article will address:
- The organization chart scenario interface
- Interacting with the chart
- Drag and drop: Adding elements to the chart
- Drag and drop: Moving existing elements around the chart
- Adding vacant positions
- Other features and options
Organization chart scenario interface
- Main chart canvas. This is where you drag and drop people to build your chart. When you create a new org chart scenario a "vacant position" placeholder will be placed on the canvas for you to move a person in to.
- Scenario name and status menu. From this menu:
- return back to your main workspace by clicking the left arrow.
- access the scenario options by clicking the small down arrow next to the scenario name. These options allow you to create a new scenario or duplicate the existing one, promote the scenario, share the scenario with a collaborator, share the scenario with a public link, rename the scenario and other common functions.
- quickly see the sharing status of this scenario as indicated by the "lock" symbol. Hovering over the lock will give you further information.
- Check the connectivity status of your scenario, ensuring it's online and saved.
- Undo and export menu. Controls here undo and redo actions on the chart, and export the chart as a PDF.
- Share button: Provides you with the option to:
- Share the scenario with a collaborator
- Share the scenario with a public link
- Share the scenario by exporting it to PDF
- User account menu. Click on your user avatar to change password, access the user administration options (add, remove or change permissions of collaborators), upgrade your plan or logout.
- Zoom controls. Zoom in, zoom out or snap to a zoom-to-fit view.
- Chart display options. Choose to automatically display your chart only to a certain hierarchy level and whether titles, names and roles are displayed.
- People picker tab. Once you've imported people, they'll all appear in this tab. You can also search for people using the search field, add individual people manually or run import routines from spreadsheets or other 3rd party connections.
Interacting with the chart
Drag and drop: Adding elements to the chart
Functionly is designed as a simple drag and drop interface.
Once you've imported or added people, select a person from the people picker tab and drag them to the chart canvas.
The chart automatically snaps people in to place when you drag close to a connecting point of an existing position or over the top of an existing position. A grey box or colour highlight will appear to indicate a droppable area.
Drag and drop: Moving existing elements around the chart
People and positions can be moved independently once on the chart.
In the example below, Brandy can be moved individually from her existing position into a different position. Or Brandy can be moved in her current position to change her reporting line.
If a position has other positions reporting in to it, moving the parent position will also move all the reporting positions in that branch.
Adding vacant positions
You're able to add vacant positions directly inline on the chart by clicking the "+" indicator that appears next to any other position.
Other features and options
🤗 You beat us! We're still writing this section... In the meantime, watch the plight of Gary, the consultant.